Lemper Udang or Spicy Prawn Dumplings - Nonya Kueh Recipes are nonya kueh for a straits-born Chinese wedding specialty.
Lemper Udang or Spicy Prawn Dumplings Ingredients:
680 gm glutinous rice grains
225 gm grated coconut
1 tbsp roasted coriander seeds or 2 tsp coriander powder
1 lemon grass, sliced
3 clove garlic
1.25 cm kencur/zeodary OR pinch of kencur powder
½ tsp salt
2 banana leaves
lots of 2.5 cm coconut rib OR toothpicks
Lemper Udang or Spicy Prawn Dumplings Methods For Rice:
1. Pick out plain rice grains and other impurities which are often mixed with glutinous rice grains. Soak overnight.
2. Steam until rice grains are soft.
3. Prepare grated coconut to obtain thick coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt. Sprinkle over rice and toss rice a little for even distribution. Steam rice again for another 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
Lemper Udang or Spicy Prawn Dumplings Methods For Filling:
1. Peel and devein prawns. Chop finely.
2. Fry grated coconut in a very dry pan until brown and fragrant. Do not over-fry until oil is extracted. Put aside.
3. Grind or pound coriander seeds, shallots, lemon grass, garlic and kencur until a smooth paste is obtained. If powdered substitutes are used, blend evenly into paste.
4. Heat oil, lower fire and fry the spice paste until soft and fragrant. Add chopped prawns and salt. Stir well until ingredients become dry and golden brown. Put aside.
Lemper Udang or Spicy Prawn Dumplings Methods For Final Step:
1. Remove centre stalk from banana leaves and boil until soft and olive green in color. Cut into pieces of 15cm x 7.5 cm (6ins x 3ins)
2. Take 1 piece of banana leaf and place 2 tbsp of rice in the centre. Spread into a thin layer. Place 1 tbsp filling in the centre and cover it with rice. Shape into cylindrical dumpling of about 10cm (4 ins) long. Roll banana leaf over dumpling and fasten both ends with short coconut ribs or toothpicks. Repeat until all rice and filling are used up.
3. Grill for 15 minutes. Brush a little oil over slightly burnt banana leaf to stop flaking.