Ngoh Hiang or Five Spice Meat Roll - Nonya Poultry Recipes
An exotic dish made with beancurd skin which has a filling of crab meat, chicken meat or mince pork, five-spice powder and seasoning, steamed first and then deep-fried and served with home-made chilli sauce and sweet black sauce.
Ngoh Hiang or Five Spice Meat Roll Ingredients
600 gm chicken with 2 pieces chicken fat or streaky pork, minced
300 gm small prawns, minced
240 gm crabmeat
10 cm piece carrot
6 water chestnuts
5 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked
2-3 stalks spring onions, chopped
½ teaspoon five-spice powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon monosodium glutamate
½ tablespoon light soy sauce
½ tablespoon sesame oil
½ egg, beaten
1 tablespoon flour
1 large sheet soybean wrapper, cut into 30 x 12'/2 cm pieces
oil for deep-frying
Ngoh Hiang or Five Spice Meat Roll Method Step by Step:
1. Combine meat, prawns, crabmeat, carrot, water chestnuts, mushrooms and spring onions and mix with seasoning ingredients, egg and flour. Leave for 1 hour.
2. Put enough marinated meat mixture in the centre of each soybean wrapper and roll up into 4 cm diameter rolls. Seal edges with a little flour paste.
3. Place rolls in a steamer and steam for 12 minutes. Cut rolls into 2½ cm pieces with a sharp knife.
4. Heat oil for deep-frying in a kuali until hot and fry five-spice rolls until light golden brown.
5. Serve garnished with cucumber and tomato slices.