Pulut Inti or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes - Nonya Kueh Recipes are nonya kueh for a straits-born Chinese wedding specialty. The blue stained
Glutinous Rice come from a flower name Bunga Telang or Blue Pea Flower topped with grated coconut cook with gula melaka or palm sugar and pandan leaves.
Pulut Inti or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes Ingredients:
1kg glutinous rice grains
20pcs Bunga Telang or Blue Pea Flower for blue coloring
300ml water for rice
255gm grated coconut for, rice
115 gm gula melaka (palm sugar)
455 gm grated coconut for filling
½ tsp corn flour
2 pcs banana leaves
2 pinch of salt
Pulut Inti or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes Methods:
1. Pick out the plain rice grains and other impurities which are often mixed with glutinous rice gains.
2. Mix dried Bunga Telang or Blue Pea Flower with 300 ml water and squeeze until a sky blue colour is obtained. add more flowers if color is too light. Strain.
3. Mix rice and blue water, the level of which should be 2.5 cm above the surface of the rice. Add more water, if necessary. Soak overnight.
4. The rice should have absorbed the blue coloring. drain off water and steam rice grains until soft.
5. Prepare 225 gm grated coconut to obtain thick coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt and sprinkle over rice grains. Toss rice a little for even distribution. Steam rice again for another 10 minutes.
Pulut Inti or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes Filling and Wraping:
1. Cook 455 gm grated coconut with palm sugar and pandan leaves. Stir constantly until coconut is soft.
2. Mix corn flour with a little water to form a thin paste and add to the cooked grated coconut. Discard pandan leaves and put aside to cool.
3. Remove centre stalk from banana leaves and boil until soft and olive-green in color. cut into rectangles of 20cm x 15 cm.
4. Place 3 tbsp of rice in the centre of 1 piece of banana rectangle. Shape and compact into a rectangular mound.
5. Roll cooked coconut into marble and press 1 piece lightly into the centre of the blue rice.
6. Wrap by folding up the 2 longer sides to overlap and folding back the 2 shorter sides, so that only the brown cooked coconut is visible through the crack in the banana leaf. Repeat until all-blue rice and cooked coconut are used up.