Pulut Tai Tai or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes - Nonya Kueh Recipes are nonya kueh for a straits-born Chinese wedding specialty. The blue
stained Glutinous Rice come from a flower name Bunga Telang or Blue Pea Flower usually serve with kaya (egg jam).
Pulut Tai Tai or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes Ingredients:
905 gm glutinous rice grains
20pcs Bunga Telang or Blue Pea Flower for blue coloring
300 ml water for rice
255 gm grated coconut for rice
2 banana leaves
kaya (egg jam)
pinch of salt
Pulut Tai Tai or Blue Glutinous Rice Cakes Methods:
1. Pick out the plain rice grains and other impurities which are often mixed with glutinous rice gains.
2. Mix Bunga Telang or Blue Pea Flower with 300 ml water and squeeze until a sky blue shape is obtained. add more flowers if color is too light. Strain.
3. Mix rice and blue water, the level of which should be 2.5 cm above the surface of the rice. Add more water, if necessary. Soak overnight.
4. The rice should have absorbed the blue coloring. drain off water and steam rice grains until soft.
5. Prepare 225 gm grated coconut to obtain thick coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt and sprinkle over rice grains. Toss rice a little for even distribution. Steam rice again for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove centre stalk from banana leaves and boil until soft and olive-green in color.
7. Compress rice into a special wooden tray lined with banana leaf. Press and compact rice solidly. Put weight on cover of tray to get rid of excess moisture. Leave to cool.
8. Cut into-slices 1.2 cm thick and serve with kaya (egg jam).